Monday, September 05, 2005

Conquering the Rabbit

My friend and I decided to kayak the Rabbit River today between Hamilton and New Richmond. While we planned for a "three hour tour" it actually stretched out to closer to 5.5 -6 hours (and we began to worry about getting to the destination before dark.) We must have portaged about 10 times around fallen trees blocking the river and pushed ourselves over 75-100 more that were down. It was a beautiful day and much of the scenery very beautiful. It was also very physically demanding, but great fun! We saw ducks, herons, hawks, and as my friend went around one bend, a big turkey flew across his path - he said it sounded like a 747 taking off! I think we accomplished a feat today that very few other people have attempted this summer - to kayak the Rabbit - they obviously are not as crazy as we are! I am thankful for a safe return home, for ibuprofen, and for a non-physically demanding job tomorrow. :)

No comments: